Hispanic/Latino Student Success Completion Advisor
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
This position is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of the Ambiciones pilot project promoting Hispanic/Latino student success and linking Hispanic/Latino students to the academic support services necessary to ensure their success, retention and completion. In the course of performing job duties, this position will have extensive involvement with students, staff and the public in carrying out program activities, and will coordinate, schedule and monitor program activities to determine consistency with program goals.
- Coordinates and participates in student recruitment, retention, and success initiatives focused on Hispanic/Latino students
- Serves as liaison with community organizations serving the Hispanic/Latino community; identifies and develop links with the Hispanic/Latino community of Howard County
- Serves as enrollment services liaison to provide information in Spanish and to act as a central resource person
- Works with Hispanic/Latino students to formulate academic plans for completion and success
- Refers students to appropriate resources
- Assists Completion Specialists with tracking student success
- Assists Completion Specialists with monitoring, tracking, and implementing interventions for academic standing and early alert
- Documents services
provided in HCC Express and HCC's Early Alert System
- Serves as a liaison between students, instructors and student services areas
- Interprets college, classroom, and athletic policies and procedures for students, faculty and staff
- Conducts outcome assessments on effectiveness of services and impact on student success
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred. Must be bilingual/bicultural in English/Spanish
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Experience working with students who have academic challenges
- Knowledge of student academic success strategies
- College retention or advising experience preferred
- Experience with computer software packages: Word, Access, Excel, Powerpoint
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Hours Per Week: 21.5 hours/week; 42 weeks per year
- Work Schedule: Monday 8:30am - 1:00pm; Tuesday 1:00pm - 6:00pm; Wednesday 9:30am - 6:00pm; Friday 9:00am - 1:00pm
- Compensation: $25.00 per hour. This position is eligible for over time for hours worked over 40 in a week.
- Grade: Part time / no benefits
- Close Date: July 31, 2015
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
Please attach the following documents:
2. Cover letter