SQL Server 2014 Upgrade Advisor Prerequisites, Download and Installation
What is SQL Server Upgrade Advisor?
Microsoft has provided a free tool to analyse existing SQL Server Instance, database, its components, features and configurations and generates a report where you can analyse required changes to upgrade from lower version of SQL Server to higher version of SQL Server so that deprecated features are highlighted and compatibility with the system and applications should not be affected and errors can be minimised to an extent.
If you want to upgrade SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2 or SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2014 then you can useUpgrade Advisor Download Version 12.0.2000.8 .
Here I am going to list prerequisites, download links and installation steps in concise and easy way. You can also find supporting Microsoft links so that you can easily understand and follow the process.
Following are prerequisites for SQL Server 2014 Upgrade Advisor.
- SQL Server Transact-SQL ScriptDom ( ENU\x64\SqlDom.msior ENU\x86\SqlDom.msi as per your system)
- Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Installer 4.5
- .NET Framework 4
Download Link for Microsoft SQL Server Transact-SQL ScriptDom:
Download Link for Windows Installer:
Download Link for .NET Framework:
Download Upgrade Advisor Installer
To download SQL Server 2014 Upgrade Advisor installerSqlUA.msi , go
to Microsoft Link – http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=42295
1. You will find Microsoft SQL Server Feature Pack, selectLanguage(e.g. English)
2. Click onDownloadbutton.
3. Choose the requiredFile Name ENU\x64\SqlUA.msi orENU\x86\SqlUA.msias per your system x64 or x86. [refer Fig-1]
4. Choose SQL Server Transact-SQL ScriptDomENU\x64\SqlDom.msiorENU\x86\SqlDom.msias per your system x64 or x86. [refer Fig-1]
Figure 1: Select Files to Download
5. You can see download summary and total size of file on right side [refer Fig-1] then clickNext .
6. Now it will prompt you toRunorSavethe files. You can save the files on disk.
1. First runSqlDom.msi and continue till Finish [refer Figure-2]
Figure 2: T-SQL ScriptDom Installation
2. Then runSqlUA.msifile to launch installation, it will check system prerequisites and if it requires any missing component it will prompt you otherwise it will continue installation. [refer Figure-3]
Figure 3: Upgrade Advisor Installation
3. Accept the terms in license agreement and chooseFeature Selectionas in figure-4.
Figure 4: Feature Selection in Upgrade Advisor
4. Continue the installation and clickFinish .
Figure 5: Upgrade Advisor Installation Finished
5. Once Installation is completed you can go to Upgrade Advisor from windows start menu and clickSQL Server 2014 Upgrade Advisorto launch.
CLICK HERE to watch live practical.
Reference: Manzoor Siddiqui [ www.SQLServerLog.com ]